[PLUG] OT VLAN Setup between 2 Cisco switches

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 01:30:11 UTC 2020

Mike,
I have done all of the upgrades to those switches in order to
obtain the coveted CLI access (there is no console port, but
according to the docs there should now be a SSH server on
the device with the upgrades to the latest code but so far no
joy. I will go over all of that and figure out how to translate it
to the GUI, and do it that way. Or figure out what is missing
to SSH into the box. According to some of the documentation
after I did the upgrade to 14.x there should be a ssh server
box to tick in order to activate it but so far no joy.

See my comments below regarding your observations:

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 7:54 PM Mike C. <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Chuck,
>
> I did quite a bit of reading and although this configuration should work,
> it's outside of norms / best practices.
>
> The way I was taught and always configured vlans is that by default all
> ports and packets are untagged and are in the default vlan. Which is vlan 1
> for Cisco.Then tag ports with the vlan you want them to be a part of.
>
> Your configuration is the exact opposite. You've tagged the default vlan 1
> on the trunk and left vlan 20 untagged
>
> Wow, I thought I was tagging the ports for VLAN 20 based on what I see
on the GUI. I will go back into it and see what I have screwed up.

> switchport trunk native vlan 20
> switchport default-vlan tagged .

This should be reversed. I was of the idea (based on what I see on the
GUI) that VLAN 1 was the default  and administrative and it was not
tagged...

> The  switchport default-vlan tagged command is to provide backward
> compatibility support for devices that don't support 802.1 Q vlan tags. In
> effect, the port functions in both access & trunk mode at the same time.
>
> But your switches are vlan aware, so this config is unnecessary and I think
> the cause of your problems.

I shall look into it and figure out how to get rid of it from the GUI if I
cannot
figure out why it does not allow a SSH server to run.

> What I recommend trying is disabling the  switchport default-vlan tagged
> .w. "no  switchport default-vlan tagged" command or GUI.
>
> And the removing the native vlan 20 on the trunk with the  "no switchport
> trunk native vlan 20" comand.
>
> This will set the default and the native vlan that was set to vlan 20 both
> to vlan 1.

I wonder if I would not be faster to just set the switch to factory and then
go in and and set up the VLAN 20 ports.

After reset all of the ports of course are on VLAN 1. I was thinking that I
was moving the camera ports to VLAN 20.

> Then run the command "switchport mode trunk allow vlan 20" which will make
> the trunk port also a member of vlan 20 and will pass tagged packets from
> the camera ports that are only members of vlan 20.

I have got to figure out how to get to a CLI...

> Then change the camera ports from general to access. Those ports will only
> be a member of 1 vlan and that is the pvid vlan 20. The port will accept
> both untagged and tagged packets from the cameras and only send untagged
> packets to the cameras.
>
> I will get those ports changed and see how that goes. Thank you again for
the guidance.