[PLUG] [OT?] Storing/retrieving USB flash drives

Jason Barnett jason.barnett71 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:52:07 UTC 2020

Richard,
A few of questions:

   1. are all the drives the same size?
   2. what size(s) are they, rough size is fine.
   3. will you want to group them or each one be unique?

Depending on the size and shape of the drives, you will have different
options. The ones that just barely poke out of the port when installed, are
much more difficult to put labels on than the ones that stick out 3".
Larger thumb drives can have labels placed directly on them.
If you want to group them, then you could get paint or plasti-dip (which
can be removed if needed) and make each group its own color.
If you have a mix of physical sizes, then you could group them by size.
Small ones being OS images, medium being personal projects, large being
work projects, etc.

If you have access to a 3D printer, then there are a ton of USB organizers
on thingiverse that may be what you want/need.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=usb+drive+organizer&type=things&sort=relevant

I have tried several of these organization methods over the years, and have
finally settled on the tried and true method of tossing them all into a
pile and then plugging them in one-by-one until I find the one I need.. :)

Jason