[PLUG] LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Sep 11 10:24:39 UTC 2020

CAVEAT LECTOR
This post _resembles_ one made to the Debian user list.
Many of the replies I got I consider to be off-topic.
I'll try to be more explicit here.

_PROBLEM:_

The goal of Debian designers could be summarized as maximizing
functionality for the broadest possible audience.
That works very well *most* of the time.
I find it VERY annoying when it doesn't.

Problems I have encountered include:
   1. Being compelled to purchase installation DVDs due to bandwidth
      or data cap constraints.
      {aggravated by installer treating "recommends" as "depends"}
   2. Very large undesired packages {e.g. LibreOffice}
   3. Applications cluttering menus for which one uses a better
      alternative. {I prefer SeaMonkey over Firefox}

_POSSIBLE SOLUTION:_

During install leave unchecked all options on the "Software Selection"
menu[1] and create appropriate pseudo-packages to be installed with
"apt-get --no-install-recommends"

_MY QUESTIONS:_

1. How do I find which packages are explicitly installed by checking a
    specific box {primarily Mate}?
    I am *NOT* interested in packages that were flagged "recommends".
2. Especially when installing from an .iso on a flash drive, how do
    I run apt-get before closing the installer?
    {i.e. install packages in the pool directory of the iso}

TIA

[1] Figure 4.13 of
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/sect.installation-steps.en.html