[PLUG] LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:59:31 UTC 2020

Does this not answer Q1? https://packages.debian.org/buster/mate-desktop

> 2. Especially when installing from an .iso on a flash drive, how do
>     I run apt-get before closing the installer?
>     {i.e. install packages in the pool directory of the iso}

You can add a non-CD mount point to the apt sources list thusly,
If you'd rather use your CD-ROM for installing packages or updating your
system automatically with APT, you can put it in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
To do so, you can use the apt-cdrom
<https://manpages.debian.org/man/8/apt-cdrom> program like this:

# apt-cdrom add

with the Debian CD-ROM in the drive.

You can use -d for the directory of the CD-ROM mount point or add a non-CD
mount point (i.e. a USB keydrive).
More info on apt-cdrom -
https://manpages.debian.org/buster/apt/apt-cdrom.8.en.html

A couple of more possibly useful pieces of info to support your endeavor.

1. Base Installation - " For technical reasons packages installed during
the installation of the base system are installed without their “Recommends”.
The rule described above only takes effect after this point in the
installation process. "

2. When the GUI installer gets to the Package Configuration, Software
Selection screen, select "manual package installation."

3. If you use dpkg instead of apt to install packages, no dependencies,
recommended or suggested packages will be installed.
https://screenshots.debian.net/screenshot/tasksel

4. If you track down the .deb files for your distro, you can get a breakout
of the specific packages and their requirements.

e.g.
https://debian.pkgs.org/11/debian-main-amd64/mate-desktop_1.24.1-1_amd64.deb.html

Hope that's somewhat on point and helpful.

Cheers!