[PLUG] Hard drive boot assignment

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Sep 11 23:14:27 UTC 2020

Question about tools and concepts for hard drive to
device name assignment.

I'd like to force second SATA drives to be assigned to
/dev/sdbX, and USB drives to be assigned to /dev/sdcX,
/dev/sddX (etc) without worrying about the accidental
boot order or the 128 bit UUIDs of particular drives.

For my systems, the second SATA drive typically contains
a backup partition /dev/sdb2 .  As those drives fill up
(typically 300 days of backup images), I move them to
fireproof storage and prepare a new hard drive for backup.
I haven't worried about backup drive UUID, so far ...

Until lately, when I am performing long-term tests on a
third USB3 drive, and power failures are more frequent
as PGE repairs lines and shuts down for fire risks.

Normally, if I connect the USB3 drive long after boot,
it appears as /dev/sdc.  Peachy Keen.

However, if the system automatically reboots after a power
failure, the USB3 drive becomes /dev/sdb and the SATA
backup drive becomes /dev/sdc.  Backups stop going to
the correct (SATA) drive.

I'd prefer to assign the second SATA drive SECOND and USB3
drives LAST.

I'd like an easy setup that Just Works after a power
failure (which will be more common in the near future).

I fear that my naive trust-to-luck works-like-the-past
assumptions are too naive.

I hope that someone on the list can suggest an approach that
Just Works With Slightly More Preparation and Knowledge.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com