[PLUG] Hard drive boot assignment

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Sep 12 00:13:08 UTC 2020

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:14:27 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> dijo:

>I fear that my naive trust-to-luck works-like-the-past
>assumptions are too naive.
>
>I hope that someone on the list can suggest an approach that
>Just Works With Slightly More Preparation and Knowledge.

Several years ago I discovered the option of giving a partition a label
(with GParted) and then specifying it as such in /etc/fstab, rather
than using UUIDs. For example, this line in fstab mounts an external USB
device:

LABEL=Movies /media/jjj/Movies auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Where I used GParted to give the device the label 'Movies.' An added
benefit is that my English-aware human brain can easily identify the
device, which is not true if I had identified the device by UUID.

The disadvantage of using labels is that you will have a mess if you
try to mount two devices with the same label on the same filesystem.
Always be sure that your labels are unique.