[PLUG] Weather application for Xubuntu 18.04

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Sep 13 00:32:30 UTC 2020

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 15:43:33 -0700
"Mike C." <mconnors1 at gmail.com> dijo:

>> 3) I can't figure out where it keeps its preferences; if I could I
>> might be able to fix the location problem.

>"To start using Meteo, launch the application, and it’ll appear in the
>system tray on the desktop. Right-click on the red X icon and select
>“Preferences.”
>
>Inside preferences, the app will tell you that you need an API key from
>OpenWeatherMap. Head here <https://home.openweathermap.org/api_keys>,
>create your key on the website and paste it into the “OpenWeatherMap”
>text box.
>Once your key is set, go through the rest of the settings and set the
>city you live in. Be sure also to tweak all of the program settings to
>your liking. For instance, if you prefer Fahrenheit to Celsius, change
>it."

When I launch the application it opens in the panel's notification
area, where the only option is Show Meteo, no red X icon. And Show
Meteo just opens it in its window on the desktop. In its window I can
open Preferences, but there is no place to enter an api key. There are
on-off buttons for Dark theme, Symbolic icons, Use system tray
indicator, Start minimized, and Launch on start. Below the on-off
buttons I can choose Units, Update interval, and an on-off button for
Find my location automatically. The latter is set to Off, but it still
stubbornly finds only my connection in Miami.

Back in the main window there is an option to change my location, but
it doesn't ever find Portland. I've tried all kinds of entries, but it
apparently looks in a database of locations that doesn't include
Portland. In fact, I tried all kinds of cities and it found few of
them. I also tried states, where Oregon gave me a place in the
Philippines, and Washington turned up only Washington, D.C. Even Madrid
turned up nothing, surprisingly since Carlos Suarez apparently is in
Badajoz.

I also tried setting up an account at openweathermap.org, but after
giving them everything short of a lease on my firstborn, they never
sent me the authorization code to complete my signup. But that's
probably OK, since I don't have any place to put the api key anyway.

Meteo might be what I'm looking for, if I could just get it working.