[PLUG] Whether to host one's own email these days?

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sun Sep 20 23:15:45 UTC 2020

You asked:
     What are those of you who have the expertise to run an email server
doing?
Running it on my own. Postfix, Dovecot, Roundcube being the core bits.

     Do you handle your own mail, or do you pay a service to do it for
you?
I do handle my own. Though I am considering using my domain registrar,
Gandi, as the host. It would be included with the annual fee for
registration, they have Roundcube. So, yeah. This impulse is motivated
by my recent hospital stays. Make sure my wife understands to keep
sending them money annually, and she will have the service.

     If the former, what are the leading choices on a Debian server?
Debian? Arch! OK, I'm sorry, but don't have the background to answer.

     If the latter, services to be recommended?
Check with your domain host for their provisioning of email services.
Gandi provides quite a bit. Perhaps yours does also.

---
       Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
     Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity