[PLUG] Whether to host one's own email these days?

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 01:25:28 UTC 2020

On 9/20/20 3:20 PM, Eric House wrote:
> I've used a personal domain for years, and the email address attached
> to it is the one I care about most, though of course I have a few
> gmail and other addresses. For years I ran my own email server. But
> when my ISP crashed and burned (remember SpiritOne and the crook who
> destroyed it?) and I didn't have a lot of time for research I started
> paying Google $5/month for a g-suite account. (Everything else moved
> to Linode, which has been great. I'm pretty sure the recommendation
> came from this group. Thanks!)
---nip---

> I suspect my requirements are pretty limited. When I had the ability
> to add unlimited email addresses and to run code on every incoming
> email I used both, but I've gotten used to not being able to do that
> sort of thing. So I can probably live with a pretty simple service as
> long as I can access it on a smartphone and through a web interface.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Eric

Many here do run, and thus will recommend running, there own email
server.  The critical issue us what ISP you use to connect, their TOS,
and whether you can get a fixed IP at a reasonable price.

Being on Comcast, along with herding the cats that come along for the
ride when trying to use a dynamic DNS service, I decided to no longer
host web and email locally.  Now I use:

nearlyfreespeech.net
For domain registration and simple web site hosting

Linode
For web (CMS etc apps), and misc hosting.

freedns.afraid.org
To manage domains, subdomains and DNS
(Also dynDNS for gopher and mumble not yet moved to Linode)

protonmail.com
protonvpn.com
For encrypted email and VPN servces. There are several plans depending
on how many email addresses, storage and/or domains you need. Email can
be accessed via web, Android, iOS. These days I trust the Swiss and bit
more than I do the good ol' USA.

My gmail and comcast emails are now for mailing lists, etc. and for
throw away web accounts.

-Ed