[PLUG] Need new solid state drives

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Mon Sep 21 22:23:57 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 5:16 PM Tomas Kuchta
<tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are using full bells and whistles 40Gb TB3 you are limited to 4
> shared PCI lanes for all the NVMe's in the enclosure.
>
> Given the price and the purpose of these PCIe storage arrays, it seems to
> make sense to have them on PCIe 16x cards otherwise you cannot access them
> at their native speeds and they might just as well use much cheaper
> 4xSATA/SAS hangout ng of PCIe3 4x.
>
> Tomas

To say it again,  another factor you need to consider is whether or
not your ssd drives are PCIe3 or PCIe 4. It can make a big difference
in transfer speed. I know that you can now get PCIe4 on motherboards,
but I don't know anything about external enclosures.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1893-pcie-4-vs-pcie-3-ssd/

Bill