[PLUG] Need new solid state drives

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Sep 22 03:50:20 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:39:08 -0700
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>My point was - Thunder bolt is maximum of 4 pcie3 lanes. It cannot
>supply enough bandwidth to saturate more than single, not to mention
>four 4x PCIe3
>-  striped 16GB array of NVMe is likely to cost multiple thousands $$.
>
>There is even less point spending 2x of that on pcie4 NVMe solution.

The thing is, even if I have only 16 lanes, I'm not going to be using
all the drives in the array at the same time. And surely there is a
controller somewhere in the setup to shuffle I/O to the next available
route. Even if I can't get the maximum that the NVMes are capable of,
it's got to be worlds better than what I'm using now.

Setting up a 20-24TB RAID0 with NVMe drives is not easy to figure out.
Apparently I'm the first one ever to do it.