[PLUG] Need new solid state drives

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Sep 22 06:59:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 21:55:17 -0700
tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com dijo:

>If I read this and your previous posts correctly - it seems to me that
>your problem is not the speed of your discs or speed of the connection
>to them - but the fact that your disks or disc array go to the power
>saving mode or are unmounted by external usb storage timeout.

Not true. Even when the drives are spinning (I see the lights dancing
on the front of the enclosure, and I can hear them clucking and
clattering), if I use the file manager to move files around I have
lengthy wait times. I don't know if they ever go into power saving
mode, and I've never noticed that they were not mounted.

Second point: The DAS (two WD red drives) is backed up to a Synology
NAS (also two WD red drives). But I can and sometimes do access the
Synology with the GUI file manager. And it's not the fault of the file
manager - I have five different ones installed and they act the same.
If I drag a file from the Synology to put it in a different place on
the Synology I still have a wait time. Now, I don't care so much about
the slow speed of the Synology because I don't access it directly much;
it's function is to back up the DAS which it does at night while I'm
asleep, so I don't care how long it takes.

I definitely intend to go with DAS using NVMe drives over Thunderbolt 3.
It's probably going to cost me over $3K, but I'm tired of waiting for
drives to finish writing.