[PLUG] Recording non-downloadable videos

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:48:30 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 08:11 Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 2020, Tomas Kuchta wrote:
>
> > Try if you could play the URL with mplayer or mpv. If you can play it,
> > then you can use it to dump the stream then convert it to mkv/mp4 with
> > HandBrake..
>
> Tomas,
>
> It's on a web page. Turns out the conferences I want to save have been
> recorded session-by-session so each can be viewed in a small window on that
> web page. I'll try vokoscreenNG.
> .

Of course, most videos are embedded in a web page. How else ...? To try
playing it with mplayer or mpv does not mean that you load the web page, I
am sure that you understand that.

You get the link of the stream itself and try to play that. It does not
always work because if session state/identifiers and/or cookies, but often
it does work without restrictions.

To get the stream link you go to the web page with the video, right click
on it and copy the link.

Then on command line:
mplayer 'http...url'
Don't forget the single quotes.

If that plays the video, just add the cmd line options to dump the stream.

Good luck with your vokoscreen thing... The first issue you will likely
spend time with will be how to capture the sound, the next issue will be
dropping frames, then frame synchrozation.... It sound easy, but that
should be your last option to try, when you are truly desperate - to me, as
casual observer, it probably is the most difficult choice.

Hope that helps and good luck,
Tomas