[PLUG] Recording non-downloadable videos

Bynoe, Ronald J ronald.j.bynoe at intel.com
Tue Sep 22 17:42:41 UTC 2020

Yeah, handbrake is definitely a better tool than just ffmpeg or VLC directly, good suggestion!
(:

Pleasantly,
Ronald Bynoe
EPG: OLÈ Team - LaaS
Automaton & Axon Tool Owner
File an Axon Ticket<https://hsdes.intel.com/appstore/article/#/server_platf_lan.support/create?component=Axon> | Email the Axon Team<mailto:automaton_admins at intel.com>

On Tue, 2020-09-22 at 10:39 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 09:27:32 -0700 (PDT)

Rich Shepard <

<mailto:rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>

rshepard at appl-ecosys.com

> dijo:

With a bit more research I learned how to install the download helper

coapp. Now I know it quickly downloads the entire video rather than

capturing it while it plays. Kewel.

I'll read more about vlc and ffmpeg so I can remove the beginings of

the videos, the static session name.

Every time I've tried to use VLC to cut off parts of a video it has

been a frustrating experience. Yes, it can be done, but just figuring

out how to tell VLC where to store the video and what to call it is

buried deep in the preferences. It's even hard to hit the Record button

at precisely the right time.

I would use VLC to play the video while carefully noting how many

seconds to delete. Then I would load it in Handbrake, where you change

the period measurement from Chapters (default) to Seconds. Now you can

export just what you want. And in the process Handbrake allows all

kinds of options for changing resolution, size, adding/deleting

subtitles, compression (lossy but excellent), and tons more. Over many

years of working with video files I use Handbrake more than any other

utility.

PLUG:

<https://pdxlinux.org>

https://pdxlinux.org