[PLUG] Need new solid state drives

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Tue Sep 22 20:40:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 14:12:07 -0500
> Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:
>
> >You could bypass the slow access to an external enclosure with this
> >motherboard
> >https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-zenith-ii-extreme-al/p/N82E16813119227
> >It has 5 PCIe4  M.2 sockets.  It also has 10Gps Ethernet and some
> >USB3.2 for external access.
> >If you stretched the definition of "external enclosure" to just be
> >another computer, this one would  make things pretty fast.
>
> I thought of just using a computer for an enclosure, but this
> motherboard is over $800, and after adding a CPU, some RAM and a case
> it would come to at least $2K. And then how do I get data in and out of
> it? I'd be back to networking.

That of course is the main problem: the farther you move away from the CPU
the slower the communications becomes. You need something with optical
fibers to mitigate this.

For your use case it might be ok to take the heat sinks off the SSD drives.
If you are only using them for short 10 or 15 minute bursts then an
external fan should work just fine to keep them cool. The heat sinks are
useful if you are using the SSD for long periods of time.

Bill