[PLUG] Recording non-downloadable videos

Nat Taylor bioborg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 05:57:51 UTC 2020

looks pretty easy with ffmpeg too if you're feeling all command line and
not wanting to install extra stuff...
https://www.markbuckler.com/post/cutting-ffmpeg/
This is that dude's easiest method, if key frames work for you:

Key Frame Seeking

The fastest way to extract a portion of video from a larger video (with a
60 second clip starting 30 seconds in) would be the following:

ffmpeg -ss 30 -i input_vid.mp4 -t 60 -c copy output_clip.mp4

This method is so fast because it uses Key frames when performing seek, and
there are far fewer Key frames than Predicted frames. It also is a stream
copy <https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Stream-copy> meaning that the encoded
data extracted from the original video is taken directly without decoding
and then re-encoding. While this feature may be useful for some users who
don’t care about frame accuracy, it doesn’t work for our purposes. This is
because even though FFmpeg 2.1 enabled frame accurate Key frame seeking for
frame extraction (more detail here <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Seeking>)
this behavior is not supported in FFmpeg 2.6 when cutting out clips of
video. This means that the start of your video will be aligned with the
nearest Key frame to 30 seconds, not the nearest frame independent of
encoding format.