[PLUG] OT: Need some help fixing a git issue

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Sep 25 23:39:23 UTC 2020

I need some help from an experienced git user to unravel a git issue I am
having.

I have a local repo and a private remote repo in the cloud (not github). I
am the only user. I have been using these two for a couple of years with no
issues. However, I inadvertently included some large test files in some
commits, and the repo grew to over 8 GB and started having issues. I went
through the local repo and removed the unnecessary files using BFG repo
cleaner, and now it is down to 145 MB. I thought I could just wipe out
(i.e. delete) my remote repo, make a new one, and then push my local to
remote and be done with it. It did not work out as I planned.

I posted a detailed question on stackoverflow -
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64055979/issues-with-updating-a-fresh-remote-git-repository?noredirect=1#comment113275077_64055979
and got one suggestion, but I don't really understand what the person is
suggesting. I also found this article, which seems to relate, but it is not
detailed enough for me to follow it.
https://www.nickang.com/2017-09-30-replace-git-branch-code/

I am  hoping someone on the list who has some experience with git, can help
me fix this problem.

Thanks!

Mark