[PLUG] Fire the umn.edu IRB?

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 12:21:25 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, 6:53 PM Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
wrote:

> I would note that there is a question mark at the end of the subject
> line and not an exclamation mark. I think there is enough evidence for
> me to conclude the IRB made a mistake in deciding there were no human
> subjects to consider, even if there is some narrow rule that allowed
> them to exempt the project. I don't know any of the mechanics of why
> that mistake was made.

That is exactly why I called this out as Cancel Culture.

Its not about being right or wrong, its about Due Process and the way in
which we learn from our mistakes.

You are moving from accusation to execution without considering any motive
or the real cause of the problem. Whether or not you are correct is
irrelevant.

Simply put - UMN made a mistake and you jump to sentencing and execution
before asking why they did it.

How is that any different from demanding the immediate and unconditional
expulsion of RMS based on a leaked email with no context?

You are running the risk of firing the wrong people. While your intentions
may be pure the way in which you act comes with significant risks. Cancel
Culture has never been about being right or wrong - It is about making
decisions based on nothing more than your own personal opinions.

I could easily adopt your attitude and demand the immediate dissolution of
the Ubuntu project. I've seen enough evidence to know that everyone working
for Canonical should be fired ;)
-Ben