[PLUG] Fire the umn.edu IRB?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Apr 23 12:39:47 UTC 2021

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 5:21 AM Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, 6:53 PM Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I would note that there is a question mark at the end of the subject
> > line and not an exclamation mark. I think there is enough evidence for
> > me to conclude the IRB made a mistake in deciding there were no human
> > subjects to consider, even if there is some narrow rule that allowed
> > them to exempt the project. I don't know any of the mechanics of why
> > that mistake was made.
> >

> That is exactly why I called this out as Cancel Culture.
>
> Its not about being right or wrong, its about Due Process and the way in
> which we learn from our mistakes.
>
> You are moving from accusation to execution without considering any motive
> or the real cause of the problem. Whether or not you are correct is
> irrelevant.

I understand you are bored and want to argue, but this is wrong. I do
know a little about IRB's and what their job is. I have no role in
executing anyone. The primary reason I posted this was that it was a
pretty important news item that I thought the PLUG community would
want to hear about (not least because the malicious patches involved
might be in a kernel we are running). The subject line was an
editorial comment on my part about how egregious a mistake I thought
it was, regardless of the specific mechanics or motives. You are free
to agree or disagree, with approximately equal impact as me
(unmeasurably small) on whether the IRB is fired or changes their
processes or continues without change.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net