[PLUG] Counting Files

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 02:22:50 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 8:17 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually, they are callsigns instead of names. A couple of examples:
>
> W7ORE at K-0496-20210526.txt
> WA7SKG at K-0497-20210714.txt
> N8QBX at K-4386-20210725.txt
>
> I would like a simple count of the unique callsigns on a random basis and
> possibly an occasional report listing each callsign and how many files are
> in the folder for each.
>
> Michael

Here's a mock solution based on what Wes wrote:

$ mkdir Processed/

$ touch Processed/{foo@{01..10},bar@{05..20},dog@{10..30}}

$ ls Processed/
bar at 05  bar at 08  bar at 11  bar at 14  bar at 17  bar at 20  dog at 12  dog at 15  dog at 18
 dog at 21  dog at 24  dog at 27  dog at 30  foo at 03  foo at 06  foo at 09
bar at 06  bar at 09  bar at 12  bar at 15  bar at 18  dog at 10  dog at 13  dog at 16  dog at 19
 dog at 22  dog at 25  dog at 28  foo at 01  foo at 04  foo at 07  foo at 10
bar at 07  bar at 10  bar at 13  bar at 16  bar at 19  dog at 11  dog at 14  dog at 17  dog at 20
 dog at 23  dog at 26  dog at 29  foo at 02  foo at 05  foo at 08

$ find Processed/ -type f | cut -d @ -f1 | sort | uniq -c
     16 Processed/bar
     21 Processed/dog
     10 Processed/foo

Is that close to what you are looking for?

Regards,
- Robert