[PLUG] Belated RIP for former PLUGer, Karl Hegbloom

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Aug 18 22:04:46 UTC 2021

On 8/15/21 10:09 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> I have a vague memory that someone spotted this before, but in case
> that is a false memory, someone else mentioned this on an IRC channel
> this evening, and given his connection to PLUG in the early days, I
> thought it was worth a (nother) mention here:
>
>    https://www.wiscombememorial.com/obituaries/Karl-Hegbloom/#!/Obituary
>
> I remember Karl as an enthusiastic Debian guy. If there was a problem,
> Debian was likely to be the answer. As a person on the .deb side of
> the planet, I couldn't help but find that endearing. I spotted his
> name on the OpenWrt git log and had a brief email conversation with
> him in 2013. I think he was living in Salt Lake City by then.

Sorry to hear this news.  He was a very active participant in the group
for many years.  IIRC, he was the list maintainer at one point.

If I had to use one word to describe Karl, it would be earnest.  I'll
never forget when Karl berated me for posting the whole man page for tac
response to question from Richard(?) titled "A linux tool to invert a
file?".  My email consisted of the output of "man tac | tac".  Well, at
least *I* thought it was funny.  I'm not sure if he ever noticed the man
page was reversed.

If you have some time to waste, scroll through some of the messages from
2002 and reminisce about long lost members.  Wil, Carla, Geoff, Dan,
etc., where are you now?
<http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2002-March/thread.html>

One other thing I noticed while scrolling through this is that Greg K-H
was once on the plug list.  I guess I didn't recognize the name at the time.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com