[PLUG] Raving mad RAID

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Feb 2 13:50:57 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> And one more thought: I'd consider LVM instead of RAID0. But whatever
> system I set up, I need the four 7.68TB NVMe drives to appear as one
> big-ass 31TB drive.

John,

That's what LVM does. You have four physical drives. They can be collected
into virtual groups any way you want, including all four in one group. Then
each group (one in your case) can be divided into as many logical volumes as
you want ... one in your case.

That's the way I set up my Mediasonic 4-bay NAS. I now have a single 8TiB
volume available.

The process is a bit different from preparing a new drive (hard or solid
state), but one of the URLs I sent lays them out step-by-step.

So, should you choose to once again dip your toes in the LVM waters you'll
find plenty of help here to keep them toes warm.

Keep on truckin',