[PLUG] Raving mad RAID

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Feb 2 20:31:45 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 12:09:06 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:

>On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 23:48:03 -0800
>Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>>A simple test to help everyone here understand what your machine is
>>doing would be to run through a few reboots and grab the list of
>>devices, like so
>>
>>1) unplug your TB-3 drives and reboot.
>>
>>2) record the output of 'ls -l /dev/nvme*' here
>>
>>3) turn the computer off
>>
>>4) plug in the TB-3 drives
>>
>>5) turn the computer on and run 'ls /dev/nvme*' again.
>>
>>This will clearly isolate the device nodes for your enclosure
>>independently of everything else on your computer. Once we have the
>>drives isolate, it's trivial to watch them for irregular behavior.
>>Until we have more confidence in the existence of your /dev/nvme nodes
>>we can ignore the other symptoms.
>
>Here are the results:
>
>1: (after unplugging TB3 device and rebooting)
>crw------- 1 root root 239, 0 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0n1
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0n1p1
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Feb  2 12:01 /dev/nvme0n1p2
>Note that nvme0 is a 1TB m.2 drive inside the Thinkpad that holds / and
>/home.
>
>2: (after turning off computer, plugging in TB3 device, and booting)
>crw------- 1 root root 239, 0 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme0
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme0n1
>crw------- 1 root root 239, 1 Feb  2 11:47
>/dev/nvme1 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme1n1
>crw------- 1 root root 239, 2 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme2
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme2n1
>crw------- 1 root root 239, 3 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme3
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 3 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme3n1
>crw------- 1 root root 239, 4 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 4 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4n1
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 5 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4n1p1
>brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 6 Feb  2 11:47 /dev/nvme4n1p2

After the above I opened Ktorrent. It presented me with a couple error
messages about missing files, where I pointed it to a folder that I had
renamed, which it happily accepted, and it is now seeding all its
torrents. The renamed folders were my fault. Then I opened a file
manager to /dev and scrolled down to nvme entries; which gave me:

nvme0
nvme0n1
nvme1
nvme1n1
nvme2
nvme2n1
nvme3
nvme3n1
nvme4
nvme4n1
nvme4n1p1
nvme4n1p2

And scrolling up a bit I see md127 and md127p1.

Everything is back to normal. My only problem is what happens when the
md127 and md127p1 suddenly become read-only again. It happened during
the night of February 1, so I can assume that eventually it's going to
happen again.