[PLUG] Raving mad RAID

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Feb 3 02:32:30 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 17:07:45 -0800
Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> dijo:

> smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1

OK, this is really weird. All this time nvme0 has been the 1TB m.2
Samsung drive inside the Thinkpad, which holds / and /home. I was amazed
when I ran the command exactly as above and it said the drive was a
7.68TB Intel NVMe. I continued, incrementing the number each time I ran
the command, and the 1TB Samsung is now nvme4n1.

I had been perplexed with why nvme4n1 had two partitions, because I was
thinking it was part of the array. The mdadm command that I used to
create the array listed nvme1, nvme2, nvme3, and nvme4, in that order.
I copied the command from the terminal and put it in a text file to save
it, and I verified just now that I did not misremember. Drive nvme4 was
originally part of the array, and now it is the m.2 drive, while the
array is now made of nvme0-3.

I have long been aware that drive labeling like sda, sdb, etc. can
annoyingly swap around. Apparently NVMe drives can be just as
exasperating.

As for the results of the command on the drives in the array, there were
no errors reported, and everything else looked normal.