[PLUG] Raving mad RAID

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Feb 3 03:36:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 18:49:21 -0800
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 6:32 PM John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I have long been aware that drive labeling like sda, sdb, etc. can
>> annoyingly swap around. Apparently NVMe drives can be just as
>> exasperating.

>Do you have a /dev/disk directory? If so, within it you should find
>various ways of addressing each drive, including by UUID. You could
>specify this path in your fstab file, as well as re-create the RAID
>array using these names rather than /dev/nvmewhatever.

Oh, I always do. After creating the array as md0 I opened it in Gparted
(GUI) to create and format the partition. If you right-click on the
partition you can get its UUID, which I saved in my text file where I
keep all the junk I had to go through to create the array and mount it.

It's nice to know that you can get the UUID from /dev/disk, but there
is also a command (that I have forgotten) to get the UUID. For a long
time I used LABEL= for mounting, where I had give the partition a
label. Labels are great, but you have to be careful not to label more
than one partition with the same label. I like labels, because they are
human readable, unlike UUIDs.