[PLUG] Next topic: whiteboard software

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 3 22:55:35 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, John Sechrest wrote:

> What is the appropriate/effective tool that does the work that a real life
> blackboard does in a meaningful discussion.

John,

I find your question abiguous.

> Most of the shared whiteboard software is not effective and is a pain in
> the ***. How do you make an interactive diagram that works?

The need for displayed interactions among meeting participants seems to be
the reason shared virtual whiteboards were created. As you wrote, the need
might be there but fulfilling that need leaves much (everything?) to be
desired.

Non-interactive displays are easy: screen share of a .pdf, .png, or other
bit-mapped formats is what I hope works well. Otherwise I'll print the files
and hold them in front of my face so the webcam sees them. Come to think of
it, that might be the simplest, easiest, and most effective solution.

And, in a planning or decision-makgin BOGSAT[1] virtual meeting,
interactivity could be accomplished by having one person writing all the
ideas on a sheet of paper and holding it up to the camera or webcam. Rather
primative but it will do the job.

Regards,