[PLUG] OBS recording: PDFs, slide show, two monitors [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 8 23:13:27 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I have an alternative but don't know how to include or use it: a slide
> show with all 6 pdf files and 3 png files. I'm seeking suggestions from
> those who've done this before.

Found the right approach, but hit a very common OBS 'Window capture
(Xcomposite)' problem: a black window.

I display the PDF slide show using either xpdf or mupdf and point the window
capture source to that file which is on the same virtual Xfce4 desktop. But,
while moving the cursor within the slide show window shows it moving in the
OBS window the slides don't display. There are many threads by windoze users
who have this problem with Chrome browser or game captures. One linux thread
had 'me, toos' from ubuntu, arch, and fedora users ... but no solution. I've
asked on the OBS forum and hope I can find an answer.

> A second issue is whether to set another HP LA1951g square monitor next to
> this one and use it to display the slide show and the text for the audio.
> Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Not needed.