[PLUG] Grub-pc errors

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Feb 13 22:01:37 UTC 2021

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:18:10 -0500
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>This could be a side-effect of using/copying hard drive from the past
>Ubuntu installations. If that is the case the problem is likely unique
>to one of the past distribution updates such as 14.xx --> 16.xx or -->
>18.xx. it might be worth it to search old stuff grub/efi issues.

I already considered that, but there are a couple issues with that
assumption:

1) Right after moving 18.04 to the new Thinkpad I did not have this
error. But it did appear before I did the dist-upgrade from 18.04 to
20.04.1. If I recall correctly, 18.04 was copied from the old computer
at the Clinic in December, 2019, and the grub error did not occur until
the middle of the summer, and the dist-upgrade to 20.04 had to wait
until Ubuntu released it for upgraders, in late October.

2) I read through (many pages) of /var/log/dmesg with Mousepad and
didn't see any error messages that looked like they might have
something to do with grub. I was also especially interested in seeing if
I could find an explanation for why the computer takes so long to boot -
over 30 seconds, when all the local drives are NVMe. I also searched
the entire file for 'grub' and found nothing.

This is a grub error, so it should have something to do with booting.
Maybe there is another log of messages I should be looking at.