[PLUG] Grub-pc errors

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Feb 13 23:12:15 UTC 2021

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 14:27:20 -0800
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>I did some poking around and came up with something for you to try.
>
>First, may sure you have the right grub-pc deb package:
>
>  dpkg -l grub-pc
>
>I see something like this at the end:
>
>  ii  grub-pc        2.04-1ubuntu26.8 amd64        GRand Unified
>Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)

My results:
dpkg -l grub-pc
Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name
      Version          Architecture Description
+++-==============-================-============-=================================================>
iF  grub-pc        2.04-1ubuntu26.4 amd64        GRand Unified
Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS vers>

>Look in /var/cache/apt/archives for the matching deb file:
>If you don't see it, try:
>  apt --reinstall -o APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages=true install grub-pc

ls: cannot access '/var/cache/apt/archives/grub-pc*': No such file or
directory

sudo apt --reinstall -o APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages=true install
grub-pc
[sudo] password for jjj: Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of grub-pc is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 25 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up grub-pc (2.04-1ubuntu26.4) ...
dpkg: error processing package grub-pc (--configure):
 installed grub-pc package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing:
 grub-pc

>You will probably see whatever postinst error you have been seeing.
>But now you should have the deb file, at least, so try looking for it
>again:
>
>  ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/grub-pc*

Same error message as above -  it's still not there.

But just now I fired up Synaptic, and it lists grub-pc and grub-pc-bin
as installed, version 2.04-1ubuntu26.4.

For the past several days the Ubuntu Update Manager has kept popping up
to tell me that there are some critical security updates that I need to
install, including a new kernel. I'm going to wait.