[PLUG] Audio issue: no sound from local source [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 14 18:16:02 UTC 2021

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Where to look? How to diagnose?

Of course, I found what I think is the problem immediately after sending
this message.

At least with audacity. Audacity has a drop down combobox with output
options. The default is, "HD-Audio Generic: ALC1220 digital (HW:1,1)" and
there's no speaker output.

When I change the output to "HD-Audio Generic: ALC1220 digital (HW:1,0)" the
same test recoding is heard from the speakers.

When I look at pavucontrol's Configure tab I don't see options with ALC1220
or HW:1,x. It seems that it's pavucontrol's output option that needs
changing. How do I determine which will work?

I tried a couple of different pavucontrol output options but still no sound
when running 'pacat -v -p /tmp/sound.wav'.