[PLUG] Raving mad RAID

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 05:27:25 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021, 19:41 John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:55:11 -0500
> Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 17, 2021, 17:30 John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:05:20 -0800
> >> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:

> >> Before rebooting I tried to umount md127p1, but got the 'busy' error
> >> message, which I solved with the 'lazy' -l option. But although
> >> umount -l executed without error, it didn't umount the array.
> >> Eventually I gave up and rebooted, and after rebooting everything is
> >> back to normal.
> >>
> >> I really need ideas.
>
> >I thought you switched to using uuids - why do you care about name
> >changes?
> >
> >TB is removable hotplug .... like USB ... device name changes are to be
> >expected.
>
> Well, yes. But I spent just a couple minute trying to umount and mount
> the array, and it didn't dawn on my to use the UUID. I had a file
> browser window open and /dev was displayed, so I just used
> /dev/md127p1. That should have worked, at least for umount. When I
> rebooted the array was mounted with the UUID, because the line in fstab
> has the UUID, not /dev/md127. The following command executed without
> error, but afterwards the array was still mounted, even though I was
> unable to access any of the files on it:
>
>         sudo umount -l /dev/md127p1
>
> And afterwards I tried to mount it, but the mount command gave the error
> that the device was already mounted.
>
> And before umount/mount I pulled the TB3 plug from the enclosure,
> waited a couple of minutes, then plugged it back in, but I was still
> unable to access any of the files. It should have automatically
> mounted, because that's what TB3 does.

That might work with single disk if you run sync beforehand and nothing
accesses the disk.

Definitely not a good idea to unplug disk array without clean unmount and
stopping mdadm.

You say that .... in the past was great. Your past and current problems
would indicate that it was not all great in the past - or you runout of
luck.

Hope that helps,