[PLUG] I can ping the new Synology NAS, but mounting it fails

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Feb 20 02:08:47 UTC 2021

This is the line in fstab that mounts my old Synology (DS216j):

192.168.1.115:/volume1/Synology /media/jjj/Synology nfs auto,user 0 0

I copied and pasted it into fstab and then edited the new line as
follows:

192.168.1.164:/volume1/Synology /media/jjj/Synology2 nfs auto,user 0 0

(And yes, I created the Synology2 folder.)

I tried appending 'sudo mount' in front of the new line as a separate
command, but that gave me 'mount: bad usage.' So then I tried 'sudo
mount -a,' but the command hangs.

I'm getting kind of anxious to get the new DS220+ working, because when
I look at files on the old DS216j some of the folder names appear
garbled in the file manager. It is entirely possible that the WD Red
drives in it are starting to fail - they are almost five years old and
have always been running 24/7.