[PLUG] NAS failed

TomasK tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:26:30 UTC 2021

+ 1 on reliability and life expectancy of Synology NAS - have bunch of
DS41x and DS91x+ - no J models - they do not support btrfs and some
applications I use.

Case in point:
I recently (December) decommissioned still perfectly (slow-ish) working
DS411 - almost 9 years 24/7 on and still receiving regular OS updates.

If you use ordinary raid (not the synology flexRaid) you can connect
the disks to your PC and mount the raid using standard mdadm on linux,
Synology describes the process on their web. If you do not have
internal SATA bays use USB-->SATA dongles.

You should definitely:
a) check the NAS logs and event logs for past issues, warning updates,
failures, etc.
b) you should check the NAS disk smart data for disk failures, sector
realocations, etc.
c) you should definitely not use RAID0 - please do not argue/explain.
   If you must have the combined all disk capacity without redundancy -
get newer NAS which supports BTRFS and use JBOD config. That way you
will know about disk/data errors and you will likely not loose all
data, should there be any sort of disk/write error.

Hope that helps,
Tomas