[PLUG] Using Mediasonic Probox 4-bay enclosure

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Jan 24 20:56:58 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 12:22:11 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I suspect all their enclosures have both interfaces.

It wouldn't surprise me if they used the same card in everything they
make. I still have the old card floating around here somewhere, with a
flaky USB port but an eSATA port that works fine, in case anyone needs
it.

>> There isn't a lot of difference between the two connectors as to
>> speed, and I didn't have an eSATA cable, so I used USB.
>
>Interesting. I've read that eSATA is faster (same speed as internally
>mounted drives), but it also depends on what else is on the USB.

SATA and eSATA are rated at 6Gbps, while USB 3.0 is rated at 5Gbps. But
then, there is the matter of how much is lost in the connection and how
much interference there is from other devices trying to get access at
the same time. Plus, how many lanes do each have available to them? As
I said, when I switched to eSATA I expected at least a little faster
throughput, but I didn't notice any difference at all.