[PLUG] Creating array with mdadm

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Jan 25 03:04:49 UTC 2021

I can't believe this information is not in the mdadm man page. Web
sites that purport to make it easy to use mdadm just parrot the man
page.

I created an array on the four NVMe drives in my TB3 enclosure with the
following command:

sudo mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=4
/dev/nvme1n1 /dev/nvme2n1 /dev/nvme3n1 /dev/nvme4n1

Afterwards I found that /dev/md0 had been created. But when I tried to
format it I got a lot of errors.

Question: Should I have created a partition on each drive first, and
then made the array out of the four partitions? If so, should each
partition have been formatted before creating the array?