[PLUG] Creating array with mdadm

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Jan 25 06:25:48 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 21:39:06 -0800
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>> These are exactly the same errors that I got before. What did I do
>> wrong?

>I'm not convinced you did anything wrong. But it's hard to tell from
>the info available to this point. If it were me, I would try
>partitioning and formatting one or all of the drives separately to see
>if that works. If you get errors from that operation, you got hardware
>problems. This is what I mostly expect will be the case.
>
>If that does work normally, my next step would be to zero the drives
>and then start over again.
>
>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvme1n1
>
>and repeat for each drive.

I get constant errors in Gparted about the formatting. I mean
dozens and dozens of popups.

So I decided just to zero the drives, and hopefully then I could get the
job done properly. The first problem was that I had to sudo the
command. :) That was easy to fix. And for nvme1n1 it took over a full
minute to complete the command, although the other three finished
instantly. But when I look in /dev I find /dev/nvme1n1 to be 15.4GB,
and the others to be zero. I went back and ran the command for nvme1n1
over again, but the GUI file manager still says it is 15.4GB. I
refreshed the display, but there was no change.

And I did the above with the TB3 enclosure disconnected. If it's
disconnected, where did these devices come from? Oh wait - I
reconnected the drive and now I have nvme1n1 and nvme1n2, and so on. I
think that /dev/nvme1n1 is bogus. I tried 'sudo rm nvme1n1' but got No
such file or directory.' I might have to reboot to get rid of them in
the file manager display.

Strange things. I'm going to leave it for the morning.