[PLUG] LVM for multiple internal drives

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Jan 26 18:05:41 UTC 2021

On 1/26/21 7:01 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> My new desktop has a 240GB SSD for the OS and two 3TB HDDs. The latter will
> hold three mount points: /home, /opt, and /data. From what I've learned
> about LVM the past couple of days I think it makes sense for me to combine
> the two drives into one logical volume for the three mount points.

What you are planning seems fine, but I think you may be confusing the
various pieces of an LVM setup.

Typically each drive is treated as a physical volume.  Physical volumes
are placed into a volume group.  Logical volumes are allocated out of
the volume group.  A filesystem (or swap) is created on a logical volume.

Note that only using LVM for the HDDs should be fine.  I.e. keeping the
SSD separate and not placing it in a volume group is okay.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com