[PLUG] Testing Zoom-linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 28 03:22:16 UTC 2021

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021, Michael Barnes wrote:

> I'm kind of surprised as security conscious as this group is, that anyone
> would use Zoom. Especially when there are so many better platforms (Free
> Conference Call, Ring Central, etc.) available.

Michael,

When a group sets up a meeting I think it's obligitory that they use Zoom
because a) they know about it, b) _everyone_ uses Zoom, and c) they're not
especially technically sharp but they know a few platforms.

Interesting that you mention Ring Central. This same organization for whom
I'll be presenting used Ring Central for one of their big conferences. I was
not able to fully join using my Slackware desktop with either firefox or
chromium. I ended up driving to their office in Wilsonville and used one of
their Windose laptops.

I just connected to zoom test using my mpow headset and Logitech C925e webcam.
Because it's reached using a web browser I had to direct it to
/usr/bin/zoom-linux where it opened that window over the firefox page. I saw
myself on screen and heard my voice in the headphones.

So now I know that this combination works.

Regards,