[PLUG] Testing Zoom-linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 28 17:13:42 UTC 2021

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, Ben Koenig wrote:

> Some of the comments made by their marketing idiots about linux market
> share was beyond stupid.

Ben,

Theoretically how would one measure market share for F/OSS? And, market
share for what?

> On the topic of security, there is not a single video chat application that
> meets the requirements set by the Linux community. They ALL fail basic tests
> in various areas be it security, vendor lock-in, or dumb UI/UX decisions.

How's Jitsi?

> The ONLY difference from one app to the next is the server it talks to. And
> even that is just a variable set by some JSON config file. Given what we know
> about Google's business model there is very little guarantee that the data is
> being handled ethically since all of this sits on top of Chrome.

Just being curious: is chromium different in this sense from Chrome?

> Quality software takes time to develop. Unfortunately it seems the human race
> has the collective intelligence of a cockroach colony and jumps on the first
> piece of half-baked javascript they can find. It's fucking disgusting.

Hey! What do you have against cockroaches? They've been around longer than
humans. And after we all kill ourselves, cockroaches and horseshoe crabs
will have the planet to themselves. Please don't denegrate cockroaches;
#Cockroaches Matter! (They'll clean up all your kitchen crumbs if you don't
have a dog.)

Stay sane,