[PLUG] Chroma-key green background replacement for Zoom

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 00:07:10 UTC 2021

On 1/28/21 3:40 PM, Jason Barbier wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021, at 3:24 PM, Tomas Kuchta wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021, 12:56 Jason Barbier <jason at corrupted.io> wrote:
>>
>>> .... cam and bob's your uncle.
>>>
>>> .
>>
>> I miss this British/Irish "Bob's your uncle" saying. .... It used to be
>> family joke^2 ... While we had uncle Bob.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> On a related note - those green screen replacement backgrounds look pretty
>> weird in the conference calls with all sorts of artifacts around people's
>> hair, ears, clothes.
>>
> The artifacts I actually fixed in OBS with some good lighting and using both chroma key and color key. if you you just one or the other you get that uncanny valley if you use them layered together one catches what the other misses. But that starts getting into Im doing lots of work, why.

Those artifacts aren't always due to the green screen. One of the new
features is image recognition which looks for a "human" in the video
feed and cuts out the background. But since humans come in all shapes
and sizes it has a tendency to either over/under estimate the area
occupied by the person.

I saw some funny Teams fails where someone would hold up a cup of coffee
and entire body parts would go missing. In one case someone took a sip
from their mug and their head was completely cut from the video.