[PLUG] Headset issues

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Jan 31 22:17:00 UTC 2021

On 1/31/21 2:12 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I need some help here with headsets hearing .mp4 videos (and, I presume,
> live meetings regardless of hosting software.)
>
> I've three headsets (don't ask; bad hardware and supplier issues): two
> digital and one analog.
>
> The digital units are a Logitech H570e and an Mpow HC; the analog is a
> Yamaha CM500.
>
> pavucontrol recognizes all three for input and all microphones are seen
> working on pavucontrol's input vu meter line.
>
> pavucontrol also recognizes all three for output and each can be
> selected by
> name with the other output option (the line-out to the speakers)
> turned off.
> Here's the problem: I get no sound from the two digital headphones;
> complete
> silence. The Yamaha works just fine.
>
> I ran alsamixer and turned everything up to 100% and disabled
> auto-mute. No
> joy.
>
> How can I diagnose why the digital headphones aren't working while their
> microphones (on the same USB plug) work?

You may have already done this, but check the playback software as to
which device it's using. I had a similar problem with my USB turntable
being recognized as an recording device. I had to go into VLC Media
player to select the motherboard hardware to get sound out of my
speakers. VLC was trying to send sound to the turntable. Sigh.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens