[PLUG] Emacs: appending columns

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 1 21:48:38 UTC 2021

I know how to define and manipulate rectangular regions in emacs yet I'm not
getting the results I need appending two columns to build a testing
database.

Using factory I created lists of SSNs, names, and addreses. Now I want to
combine the SSNs and names, row-by-row, as they're in the same database
table.

Here are short versions of the lists
ssn.dat:
(155-02-5827,
(795-61-4130,
(833-38-7251,
(302-37-0777,
(360-19-8292,

names.dat:
Richard Chen);
James Peterson);
Dana Brown);
Misty Mills);
James Swanson);

When I select the names and mark the rectangle for copying (C-x r M-w), then
yank them in the ssn.dat file the first name is appended to the first ssn,
but the rest of the names are placed between the second and last ssns in the
list.

I'm sure there's a way of appending each name to its ssn but I've not found
it in my web searches.

Help's appreciated,