[PLUG] scanning photo prints

TomasK tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 23:03:21 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-07-04 at 08:53 -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in hearing people's experiences scanning their
> photos.
> We have a large collection of old prints of various sizes, both B&W
> and
> color that we would like to digitize.  I checked the mailing list
> archives and was surprised that I couldn't find any previous
> discussion
> of this.  My product searches all seem to lead to the Epson FastFoto
> FF-680W.  This is a $600 photo scanner that can scan a stack of
> prints
> at 3 seconds per print.  Despite the high price and apparently
> Windows-only software, this seems to be the best choice for bulk
> scanning photos.  Does anyone have experience with this product or a
> similar product?
>
> BTW, in the future there may be a need to digitize slides, but for
> the
> time being my focus is on prints.
>
> thanks,
> galen

I scan photo prints:
Fujitsu Fi-6130 sheet scanner - It was costly when I got it in 2008 -
BUT - It is one of the best spent IT money I have ever made. It is
still going strong and works under Linux. It scans both sides letter
sheet in about 1 sec. Stacked photo prints in about 1/2 second per
photo. It out-resolves the photo prints (I can see the emulsion
grains). I would highly recommend Fujitsu sheet scanners if you still
scan - It scans whole book in minutes and without jams (if you can cut
the binding).
https://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripher
al/scanners/business/fi7140/
https://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/b
usiness/fi7160/

I scan negatives/slides:
I take pictures with SLR using cheap slides/negative adapter to macro
lens + flat high gamut white light source. It takes about 1-ish second
per shot (compared to 2-3 minutes on flat bed scanner). Modern SLR (if
you have one) easily out-resolves negatives and slides in both
resolution and dynamic range. Films, especially  old/new customer grade
are no match for today's SLRs and lenses.

Hope that helps,
Tomas