[PLUG] Fast way to add nic card to Ubuntu Server

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 00:03:21 UTC 2021

No they were there the dmesg command brought them to the
surface and the rest was just adding them to the yaml file for
netplan, run netplan try and once happy netplan apply and THEN
I could see them in all of the usual tools.

The other thing I have found out about the stupid subiquiti
installer is if there is no network attached to the card or port
it will drop it and you will not see it, I had to attach live net-
works to the ports I wanted registered, oh it would find them
in the install then drop them. Also if you had a port that did
not go to a live network (I tried to use my camera network
which is an isolated island) again it would find then drop or
worse it would find then make the camera network the public
port!!! I  would have to go in and change the metric on the
ports to get the right one going out. I am going to start looking
at some other server solution as it seems that Ubuntu is brain
dead...  I do not know why they have to make setting up the
network part such a mess. Seems that one should not have
to go to such lengths to install a stinking nic card.

The interesting thing is the desktop will do all of that stuff
automagically, I stuffed the fibre card in a desktop machine
and it found it as soon as it booted up, showed two fibre
ports same rev level (20.04.x) just desktop vice server...

Lspci showed the presence of the card but it did not give
the port names which were enp30f0 and enp30f1....

Such is life.... But there are more fun things to do then
have to clean up something that should in my view be a
wee bit more obvious.

This is not the first time I have run into this but it sure is getting
old.