[PLUG] Block-list, Pass--list

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jul 22 20:55:20 UTC 2021

This might be a "plug-talk" subject, but it will affect
how we write and use and archive Linux code, so it belongs
on this list, practically speaking.

I've used the terms "black-list" and "white-list" for half
a century.  I just realized those terms are ideologically
incorrect, and will derail a discussion, sooner or later.

A little googling revealed alternatives.

An obvious (and technically more accurate) replacement for
"black-list" is "BLOCK-list".  A bit of work to relearn,
but trivial to implement technically.  When I forget and
mistakenly say "black", I can pretend you misheard me :-)

"WHITE-list" is harder, many more variants in play.
"Allow-list" is one alternative (same number of letters);
"Pass-list" is faster to say (same number of syllables).

Maybe "Pass--list" is optimum, since cut-and-paste changes
checksums but not line and file lengths.

I bring this up now, and here, because I would like to
resolve this and practice making the change before some
politically-correct pecksniff derails a technical
discussion.  Virtue signalling has its place (plug-talk),
but I hope we can make this transition together, without
rancor, maintaining focus on technical virtuosity instead.

Let's discuss this /technically/ here, /virtuously/ on
plug-talk.  When we decide what to do, TOGETHER, how do we
propagate it through millions of lines of code written by
thousands over decades?

Keith

P.S. Genetically, I am "very-dilute-black".  Many people
with southern-US ancestors are.  Some west-African genes
protect against malaria, endemic in the antebellum south.
Linux systems were used to discover this.  References
available off-list; discuss on plug-talk.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com