[PLUG] Block-list, Pass--list

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 00:20:32 UTC 2021

On 7/22/21 4:10 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> For me, abandoning blacklist/whitelist has more to do with the murky
> origin of the expression, and what I assume might be uncertainty in
> the receiver of the connotation of the expression. According to the
> OED, it was used in 1624:
>
> 1624   Bp. J. Hall True Peace-maker 42   "Ye secret oppressors,..ye
> kind drunkards, and who euer come within this blacke list of
> wickednesse."
>
> That links to "black" 13a:
>
>   "Designating something which indicates disgrace, undesirability,
> failure, liability to punishment, etc. (often involving or consisting
> in a black symbol)."
>
> usage dating from circa 1550:
>
> ?1550   J. Bale Apol. agaynste Papyst f. cxvi   "He feared the blacke
> blotte of treason for maynteynynge monkery, whych hys prince had
> condempned afore."
>
> Without trying to research further, I presume this comes from the
> general association of black with darkness (in the sense of hard to
> see) and evil (things that lurk unseen).
>
> However, when I am talking to people I don't know well and who might
> not understand the innocent way I intend to use the expression, I do
> NOT want them to make the wrong association. A naive person might hear
> blacklist and whitelist and make an association with racial
> preferences, particularly when I am suggesting how to get their device
> put on one list or another. There is no question that within my
> lifetime racial discrimination was openly explicit and harsh, and we
> are still living with the echos of that long legacy.
>
> That said, there is a slippery slope. For example, I've seen people
> suggest that "native" should be avoided, and I don't get that. I am
> unaware that "native" is generally understood in a pejorative way.
> Even master/slave, which has obvious association with an evil
> social/economic/political system, as it is used to describe roles of
> devices on a bus (like SPI), is not (to me) obviously offensive. The
> master device is commanding the slave device to do something. The
> slave device is expected to do what is asked. This seems simply
> descriptive. I don't understand how someone would think that it was an
> expression of discrimination or supremacy among people. There is some
> danger that word policing will drift into silliness.
>
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 2:28 PM <james at bertelson.me> wrote:
>>
>> The etymology of the terms white and black list have absolutely nothing
>> to do with today's hyperracialized politics.
>>
>> James
>>
>> On 2021-07-22 16:55, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>>> This might be a "plug-talk" subject, but it will affect
>>> how we write and use and archive Linux code, so it belongs
>>> on this list, practically speaking.
>>>
>>> I've used the terms "black-list" and "white-list" for half
>>> a century.  I just realized those terms are ideologically
>>> incorrect, and will derail a discussion, sooner or later.
>>>
>>> A little googling revealed alternatives.

> [...]

Indeed - sillyness. The terminology of white-* and black-*, as well as
master/slave, as they relate to technolgy, predates modern era slavery
as practiced in Colonial America and later USA, and have nothing at to
do with racism. Even in modern usage, demanding we remove and replace
terminology that some find offensive due to their lack of education in
History and Evolution is ludicrous.  The ancient Greeks and Romans did
not exclusively enslave "black" Africans. Removing "white" "black"
"master" "slave" from the language will not repair the underlying
discrimination programmed into out primitive hunter-gatherer brain
during hundreds of millenia of evolution.

All of Homo Sapiens was originally "black" and it was a series of
mutations allowing certain tribes to move north, migrating out of Africa
(Yes, we are ALL Africans). Thus, "whites" are "mutants" who, although
can synthesize Vitamin D more efficiently, are also more prone to
certain diseases (melanoma) as a result.

If you want to fix racism, teach children our true history. For example:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/04/how-europeans-evolved-white-skin

-Ed