[PLUG] exFAT v. FAT32

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Jun 11 00:36:58 UTC 2021

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:33:18 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this will help:
>> <https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/exfat-better-different-fat32/>
>
>This site has a more clear explanation:
><https://thedigitalrenewal.com/difference-between-exfat-vs-fat32/>
>
>But, ... "ExFAT was designed to get around the limitations that Fat32
>has, namely the maximum file size allowed on the file system. ExFAT
>has a larger file size limit than Fat32 allowing for up to 16GB files
>to be stored on the ExFat file system."

Thanks, so I was right about the 4GB fie size limit on FAT32. But I
didn't realize that exFAT extends that to only 16GB. While 90%+ of my
files are under 16GB there are a few that are larger.

I'd go with ext4, except that my phone can't read that filesystem. Mind
you, I have read that Android is supposed to be able to read/write
ext4, but when I plugged an ext4 USB stick into my phone it failed.

Then there is the problem that GParted can't format a partition exFAT -
the option is grayed out. I don't understand why the option is even
there if it can't be used.

None of the options suit me 100%, but the best is probably exFAT. Since
GParted can't format a partition exFAT, is there a way to do it from
the command line?