[PLUG] Linux-friendly product bar code scanners

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 11 20:49:08 UTC 2021

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Perhaps this software will fit your needs:
> <https://github.com/julzhk/usb_barcode_scanner>
>
> and this hardware could gather the data:
> <https://www.amazon.com/Barcode-Scanner-Symcode-Datamatrix-Handheld/dp/B07CGNGXZR>

Here's a less expensive one that should work with a LibreOffice Calc
spreadsheet.
<https://www.amazon.com/WoneNice-Barcode-Scanner-Handheld-Reader/dp/B00LE5VV1C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4FU4M2C8L2OT&dchild=1&keywords=usb+barcode+scanner&qid=1623444307&sprefix=usb+barco%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-3>

Should work for you, Keith:

Question: is there software (or a program) that is needed to be able to
track the barcode that was scanned to keep track of quantity that is being
scanned?
Answer: Needed? No. This acts like a keyboard input so whatever you scan is
put where the cursor is. You can use any software to track; excel, access,
google sheets, wasp, so on...

Question: Will it work on Ubuntu Linux? (I run Kubuntu 14.04)
Answer: I use it on Linux Mint 18.3 with no problems. Make sure the USB hub
you plug it into has sufficient power. You can use dmesg to see if it is
recognized and working properly.

A handy tool.