[PLUG] 10GBe NICs compatible with arm64 linux?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jun 16 21:30:39 UTC 2021

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:49:49 -0400
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>On Wed, Jun 16, 2021, 14:13 John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:
>> What's the point of a 10GB connection from my computer if it runs
>> straight into a 1GB bottleneck?

>NFS, distributed computing, network database access, network backup,

OK, I have two computers and two NAS devices on my home network, all
connected via a switch and cat6 gigabit rated cables and connectors. So
you are saying that if I have a 10GB ethernet device on my computer
that the computer will connect to the other local devices faster than
gigabit. I can believe that the gigabit rated devices might connect
somewhat faster than their rating, but even if I push bits at 10GB
through a 1GB wire, I find it hard to believe that I would get the full
10GB speed.

And then there is this - two of the devices are Synology NAS devices
with SATA3 drives in them. How fast can they respond?

People with desktop computers where they can insert a new 10GB ethernet
card to connect to local devices that are also 10GB capable might see a
significant benefit, but if the 10GB computer is the only device that
is 10GB capable, you're still going to hit a bottleneck at the other end
of the connection. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.