[PLUG] Website of linux command examples

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jun 20 16:00:08 UTC 2021

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:

>> I've seen a wiki-like page of Linux command examples.
>> Unfortunately I failed to bookmark it.

> I have never seen such a page, but that doesn't mean one could not be
> created. Make it sort of like Wikipedia, where viewers can add their own
> comments and tricks. But it would eventually get really big.

John/Richard:

What Richard asks is equivalent to looking at a list of ingredients without
knowing to what recipe they belong.

Context is all.

I recommend downloading a copy of Linux In A Nutshell, 6th Edition
<https://doc.lagout.org/operating%20system%20/linux/Linux%20in%20a%20Nutshell,%206th%20Ed.pdf>
because it has the context.

A list of commands needs to be referenced to the desire output. For example,
look at the 'ls' man page and you'll see it can display a list of files in a
eirectory, a list of subdirectories, files listed in order of size, last
access date, etc. The command, ls, varies depending on the desired
information or action.

HTH,